Wednesday

The Way Through the World

The way through the world
is more difficult to find
than the way beyond it.

poet Wallace Stevens
Narrow is the road that leads to life
and few are those who find it.

Jesus
This is not necessarily speaking of eternal life. For what is more essential to us than our own lives, and what are we less clear about than our own lives?
Many periods of my life have started with hope, joy, and expectation especially spiritually but so quickly and surprisingly lead into woods shrouded with a low lying mist.
Where is this abundant life?
Where is God when we need him?
I experience erosion from confidence to doubt. This erosion leads to a subtle questioning of God and his intentions toward me.
The gospel I read about seems to present more – so much more. When I take off the religious glasses of my heritage I see a different theme altogether

So little I actually see in the Gospels are about the hereafter; I find more about the Now!
Consider the following scriptures:

John 10:10 (NIV)
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full.

John 7:38
38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

Notice how Jesus says from not simply in. Flowing from implies to me that this must be for someone other than me in some future age, but for those I am in contact with right now.

Perhaps the abundant life is missing because I am holding onto it rather than flowing to others?

No comments: