Thursday

What Kind of Christian Are You.

Sitting against a bare concrete wall amid the rubble of a construction site during break the other day, I was asked, “What Kind of Christian Are You?”
No malice or derision intended, just curiosity. Conversations ebb and flow on a construction job. Being a crew member resurrected from “long ago”, I am the validater of stories that are told of the old days when “Cave-Man Construction” really did almost everything physically. “We didn’t need no stinkin’ power tools.” I was there when “line-dancing” while singing with the Temptations while carrying 40 foot cages of beam steel, or the time Nick spun Randy (the boss) over his head – picture WWF helicopter drop, but I regress.
It seems that the radio was pronounced evil by a former Christian employee. Moreover, I even know most of the music played on the oldies station and can converse about movies, television and current culture.
Back to the topic, at hand, this former employee who Has grown increasingly legalistic from his high school through college and mow married life.
His hyper-legalism had caused my inquisitor to label him as a militant Christian.
Perhaps due to my less than legalist view of life and my utter lack of judgment or criticism of anyone’s language, music, life choices, lead my co-worker to lean forward from the wall, stare quizzically, and ask, “What kind of Christian are you?”
As to my answer, I thought and simply said, “I desire to be a follower of Jesus Christ, but often I have settled for being a Christian.”
Break was over, but I have been struggling with that statement for over a year. I do not want to settle for being a Christian. I don’t think Jesus did either.

No comments: