Thursday

On the Catwalk

One of the pleasures of my current job is “walking a catwalk”. A catwalk is about 12” of form-work (plywood) that extends beyond the area formed for a concrete slab or roof. Back in the day, (early ’80’s) I thought nothing of nimbly walking, working, and carrying equipment on the catwalk 30 – 35 feet off the ground. Now in my early 50’s, returning to my “roots”, I am a bit more apprehensive.
Little did I realize how my present experience on a catwalk during a recent roof pour would assist me at our “second” home in North Carolina.
Walking a “catwalk” or runway as some insist, had never entered my imagination. So when I found myself and our dog, Rufus, at a charity luncheon showcasing Life IS Good apparel I had to smile at the irony.
A year ago neither activity was ever even a remote possibility, and in the course of a week I have done both.
At the fashion show, I must say we – that is Rufus and me – were the highlight. Rufus is our 15 year-old whippet/terrier. Though I usually describe him as a breed of Lee, you know, part Hom- and part Ugh-. He is a sweet gentle dog who no longer can see too good, or hear too good, or smell to good. Rufus has few teeth left, and those he has stick out of his mouth at an angle.
Little Rufus was styling in a green and yellow argyle sweater with the black boa trim. I lied to him when he was dressed and told him no one would laugh. The boa did little for his sexual orientation which is confused since the operation. However, no worry, his self-esteem does not appear to have been harmed.
The society ladies adored him, the store – The Stitchin' Post – we represented has had increased sales and I have a story to tell. Rufus also made the front page of the local paper. Not bad for two old guys.

Check out the The Stitchin' Post for Life IS Good summer wear.

No comments: