Monday

Mr. Blanding Builds his Dream House - Again?

It is good to have an end to journey towards;
but it is the journey that matters in the end.
--Ursula Le Guin
In the film, Mr. Blanding’s Dream House, (see previous post) Mr. Blanding attempts to drive from New York City to his new Connecticut home with his wife and lawyer.
Arriving at a covered bridge he decides that the correct route would be a left turn and after a long drive returns to the same covered bridge. This occurs two more times as poor Mr. Blanding can’t seen to find the right way.
I have been pondering this comic futility in regards to my own journey as a follower of Jesus Christ. I seek to arrive but all to often find myself returning to the starting point.
Yesterday, as part of our continuing “research” project my wife and a friend visited a predominantly Spanish congregation in the Kendall region of Miami.
The pastor spoke from Colossians chapter 3. One point he made has griped me. Verse one speaks about seeking those things which are above not things on the earth. The pastor illustrated how many he knew were simply advertisements for coming attractions but were not able to deliver the real deal..
Imagine yourself sitting in the theater, before the film there are trailers of “coming attractions. You know, appearing soon in the theater near you”. He made the point that many are simply that – “coming attractions” not the real thing.
Someday, I’ll get my stuff together, coming soon as a matter of fact. No, I get to be complete right now. Setting my affections on things above is not about the future but about my daily walk and my interaction as a representative of the Kingdom Jesus allows me both the live in and represent.
May I not be a “coming attraction” but may I demonstrate the grace and mercy of Jesus today to all.


No comments: